26 August 2012

Eugene Duprey - Picture




Today I participated in the August 2012 Scanfest at Miriam Robbins' blog, AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors.  I was able to scan a few pictures that I hope will be blog posts.  Here's the first one!

This is my maternal great grandfather, Eugene Duprey (1862-1946) with his team hauling lumber.  I know the picture was taken in Au Sable Forks, New York but I was hoping to find the street.

In the right corner you can see an early model car.  My father was a car nut (classic and muscle car) so I estimated the car to be in the mid-1910's time frame.

Then, in the upper left corner you can see the letter "W. Scott" "Dentist".  I did some digging around on my FAVORITE website, Northern New York Historical Newspapers (see my post Website Wednesday) and found that there was a Dr. Joseph W. Scott, Dentist, who began his practice in 1911.  According to an article in The Adirondack Record-Elizabethtown Post on March 23, 1961 celebrating Dr. Scott's 50th anniversary as a dentist, he had offices over the Meconi's store and Lois P. Meconi, Esq. and then over the second floor of the R.E. Morhouse block over the McCann's Drug Store. So I am thinking Main Street, Au Sable Forks, New York.  I could be wrong the street but not the town!!

No comments:

Post a Comment