08 October 2012

Happy Columbus Day 2012

While looking for a Newspaper Nugget regarding Columbus Day, I came across the following in the

October 7, 1971

local news (aka GOSSIP) section of The Adirondack Record-Elizabethtown Post, written by my step-paternal grandmother, Helen Torrance Coughlin:


My first thought was Grandma C must have gotten her dates mixed up and it got published incorrectly.  Then I went to the trusty Google search and found out she wasn't wrong (I know~never doubt a grandmother!!).  It was in 1971, at the height of the Vietnam War, that the government decided to make as many federal holidays as possible on Monday (so glad to see where priorities where).  Public pressure changed Veterans's Day back to November 11th in 1978.

So now that we have had a history lesson today (one of the federal holidays I actually get off!!), time to go research, research and find clean clothes for work tomorrow!!

Happy Columbus Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment