17 March 2014

52 Ancestors: #6 Eulalia Mary Duprey Senecal

Well, I am STILL a "bit" behind in my entries for Amy Johnson Crow's "52 Ancestors Challenge" but that's life!!

My number 6 entry is my maternal grandmother, Eulalia Mary Duprey Senecal. She was the youngest of 6 children born to Eugene Duprey (1862-1946) and Melinda Sharrow Duprey (1873-1937) in Black Brook, Clinton County, New York.  She married Ernest "Red" Senecal on June 1935 (see Wedding Wednesday-Maternal Grandparents) and had one child, my mother Sharyn Ann Senecal Coughlin (1945-1992). Grandma Eulalia worked for many years at the local paper mill, J & J Rogers Company, Au Sable Forks, NY.

I have a few memories of my grandmother but do remember the Sunday phone calls and of course birthday and Christmas cards with a few bucks in them. Boy always thought I was rich getting a few bucks back then!!

I also remember her name.  Her first name was a tongue twister when I was young.  She was baptized "Lilla Marie" but was also known as "Eulalia Mary". Her sister, Mamie Duprey Willis (1895-1978), refers to her as "Lily" and "Lilla" in some of the notes I have of hers.  But she will always be "Grandma Senecal" to me!!

Here's a photo she sent to my mother in January 1972. I would love to know the story behind her note on the back, "This is your old lady. Believe it or not." !!



No comments:

Post a Comment